London-Edinburgh Vacay Days 6-7
Oh, dear, I really meant to finish posting about our spring UK vacay (that rhymes) long before now but as usual, time got away from me. Seems to be the name of my game!! But I am back today, and am going to commit to winding this trip up before we head out for our family beach vacation. Because you know I am going to want to share all the deets about that vacay, too!!
When we last left off, PC and I had enjoyed our first full day in Scotland, day 5 of our trip. If you missed that post, you can check it out, here. And I wrote about the first three days of our adventure in this post, here. Now let's get down to the business at hand...
Edinburgh Day 6
After another great night's sleep in our Bonnie Hotel accommodations. I think we ate pastries in bed from a convenience store around the corner. It was so convenient having the little kitchenette with a microwave and refrigerator in our room.
The morning weather was beautiful, a bit crisp for May 1st by El Paso standards, but sunny. Our first stop was Edinburgh Castle but we had 2 pleasant detours on our way. Every morning, I was sure our luck with good weather would run out but we were truly blessed with warm temps and sunshine the whole trip.
On this day, I wore hiking boots with an Aerie pale yellow, oversized sweat shirt, a pastel plaid button down shirt underneath, jeans and my trusty rain jacket on top. For most of our excursion days, we shared the responsibility of carrying a backpack. In it we packed umbrellas, water, our passports, occasional snacks, my wallet and filled it with souvenirs from every stop.
We walked through St. Cuthbert's Kirkyard. Lovely church, very old cemetery and all that beautiful green.
We peeked in the gift shop outside the castle where I saw these colorful, cashmere scarves. Two of them are tartan plaids designed in Princess Diana's memory.
Walking the Royal Mile
We walked down the Royal Mile that leads from Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Came across these proud Scotsmen along our way.
It started sprinkling so we ducked into the Museum of Childhood, a tiny museum celebrating toys down through modern history.
Continued down the Royal Mile (which is closer to 2 miles, than one).
Calton Hill and the Water of Leith Walkway
At the end of the Royal Mile we took a left toward Calton Hill with its panoramic views of the city.
After coming down from Calton Hill, we walked (and walked) until we came to the Water of Leith Walkway. It was lush and green and quiet. Hard to believe it was in the middle of a bustling city.
I was so excited when it started raining enough to justify opening my umbrella and donning the raincoat I had dragged all over the UK. A little rain excites us desert-dwellers.
We came out of the Leith Walkway not too terribly far from our hotel. Wound up with almost 22K steps for the day. Fell very contentedly into bed and ate cranberry cheese, bread and fruit for dinner.
Day Seven
Awoke to pictures from home from Lauren and the girls. They had been to our house to check on the kitties and to water our plants. Cia and Cam left the sweetest notes. Purrcy posed for a picture for mom and dad.
a shape-changing aquatic spirit of Scottish legend. But beware – these are malevolent spirits, hoping to lure…
We passed Inveraray Castle. Would have loved to have a little look around it!!
Then stopped in the town of Inveraray for lunch. The tour guide recommended The George for an authentic lunch so PC and I gave it a try. The restaurant was so quaint and perfectly Scottish.
Our order took almost an hour to come out of the kitchen and by that time we were worried about being late getting back to the tour bus. We absolutely gobbled our food. I had the traditional haggis, neeps and tatties. Was very surprised at how tasty it was. PC had a meat pie which was also very good.
Our next stop was a photo op. Kilchurn castle in the background and Scottish Highland cows in the foreground.
Doune Castle
We arrived at Doune Castle mid-afternoon. PC was giddy with excitement at seeing the castle he remembered so fondly from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." He had been reciting quotes from the movie all day!!
PC spilled out of the bus and we approached the castle together but I decided to hang back and let him tour at his own pace, still quoting lines from the movie.
It was after 6:00 pm when we arrived back in Edinburgh. We walked from the bus station back to our hotel, stopping by to pay our respects to Greyfriars Bobby, the terrier pup who guarded the grave of his master for 14 years until his own death.
I don't have pictures from dinner that night so I am thinking we just had snacks in our room. We probably picked up something at the convenience store on our way back to the room. And collapsed into bed after another wonderful day.
It has taken me 2 days to write about these 2 days of our trip. Of course, I have had a few interruptions! Hope to get a final post about the rest of trip put together over the next few days. We have a family trip to Pensacola, Florida coming up in a little over a week. Will want to share those adventures with you, too!!
Your Turn
Do you have any vacation plans over the last month of summer? After our beach trip, I hope to just be home for a bit. School will be underway the week after we return home - can you believe it? Not sure I am ready to start subbing again. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
It has been enjoyable looking back over my photos from this trip. Thank you for stopping by so I can share them with you.
Hugs and kisses,
.png)




























































We just got back from London (and Paris). Wow! I am a little jealous of your cooler clothes, it was quite warm while we were there! I hate when I sweat through my bra and there was lots of that in Paris. So glad I packed extra! Ha ha! It is so neat to see artists out doing their work (painting). Love the castle and all the food. I had a meat pie while in London, it was one of the things I really wanted to try and it did NOT disappoint! Enjoy your beach trip! I am sure it will take me forever to blog about London and Paris. These trip recaps are such work! ha ha!
ReplyDeleteCarrie
curlycraftymom.com
So fun to read about your trip. I've had haggis and if it's done well and you didn't know what it was I think most people would like it. My daughter and son-in-law and their kids dressed up as characters from Monty Python for Halloween last year. It was a hoot. I will try to send you a snapshot of it maybe on Facebook or Insta. They were so cute and my two oldest grands recite some of the lines. Looks like you had gorgeous weather! I had a friend who lived in Scotland for one year and it rained 364 days lol. We had great weather when we traveled there, but also the rain is often manageable for still getting out. We tend to get gully washers here where even an umbrealla doesn't help. You'll be glad you wrote your memories here.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly did a lot of steps!! I remember seeing those huge kelpies, so impressive!
ReplyDeleteI loved eating Haggis when we were there—it was a lot tastier than I ever would have thought. But that was before we became vegans!
Big hugs xx