Search This Blog
My journey toward rediscovering life after retirement
Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Duke's Mixture 09.19.2026
Ladybugs, welcome and thank you for stopping by to visit. I am trying very, very hard to get around to visit all the blogs I follow more regularly. Have put a reminder on my phone that says "Feedly" from 6:30-7:30, which is the app I use to read all the posts. I can just go to Feedly and from there click on everyone's blogs rather than looking up each blog on my own.
And I am hoping to blog a little more often but we will see how that pans out. Every time I say that, technology throws a wrench into the works.
One of my favorite bloggers is Joyce at http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com . She hosts the weekly Hodgepodge series and linkup. Each Sunday, Joyce shares the hodgepodge questions for the week and on Wednesdays everyone links up their responses. The questions are always fun and thoughtful. And I always kick myself for not taking a few minutes to write up my answers. Going to make it a blogging goal to participate at least once a month.
Hodgepodge 09.16.2026
1. How do you define beauty? I have read a number of these responses on other folks' blogs. Safe to say we all agree that real beauty in people goes beyond what we see on the outside. I think for someone to be beautiful they have to have a radiance, a shine, a sparkle to them...a warmth, approachability. They have to be true to themselves and genuine around everyone with whom they interact. There's something in the eyes, in the smile of the truly beautiful. The glow of a kind and true heart.
As far as beauty in the world goes, I think there is a lot of manmade beauty but it is constructed. Does that make sense? It is manufactured. And in my eyes, the most beautiful people and things are natural.
2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you
go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to
do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World)
I have taken several trips by train. The first one was when I was 6 years-old and traveling with my parents and little sister from Boston to New York for the 1964 World's Fair. I think I can remember the trip in small flickers of memories. There was a man, an employee of the train, going up and down the aisles selling sandwiches. I had my first sandwich ever - ham and cheese - on that train.
Have also traveled by train from Oklahoma City to Ft. Worth, about a 3 hour ride. From Paris to Nice, France which was twice that long. And from London to Edinburgh, a 4-hour jaunt across some truly beautiful (see question 1) landscape.
Last Christmas, my El Paso daughter and family, PC and I enjoyed a train ride on the Polar Express in Durango, Colorado. It was an absolutely magical delight.
3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a
nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or
how it relates to your life in some way currently.
I'll take walking on eggshells, please. Most of my adult life I have been tiptoeing on eggshells for one reason or another. At work. At home. Long distance with my parents. Now with my adult children, at times. Even with PC. Currently, he is recovering from hip surgery and I am walking on eggshells trying to balance being helpful and being annoying.
4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite
food on the list that comes in/with a shell?
Hmmm. Tacos, I guess, would come in first. I like fried oysters and clams, too, but never get them. And fluffy scrambled eggs are pretty terrific. For that matter, I like pistachios, too. There is very little I don't like.
5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own
birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate.
Birthdays were a pretty big deal in my house when my daughters were young. They were born 2 years and 1 day apart. So we had 2 days of celebrations. And they received presents on each other's days.
We still try to get together for their July birthdays, usually at the beach. This year's birthday celebration was in Pensacola. Our first time to vacation in Florida all together. And these days we are also celebrating Brennyn's first-born baby, Cadence, who also has her in July. I had this banner made for a birthday celebration at our house the July after Lucia was born in 03.2016.
6. Insert your own random thought here. On Wednesday, as I mentioned in my response to question #3, PC had hip replacement surgery. He spent that night in the hospital but was discharged before noon the next day. He has done so well!! But Paul is reluctant to take pain medication so isn't sleeping as well as he should. I am hoping to persuade him to take his meds tonight so he can have a solid night's sleep. Thankful that he is well on the road to recovery and that doing some of our favorite activities together like hiking is back in our future. I took this photo about 4 hours after his surgery. Isn't it just crazy that he is walking already? Praise the Lord.
Share Our Lives
No, it isn't the second Monday of the month as I am typing this. It is, however, the third Saturday of September. But the link up is still open and I have always wanted to join these ladies so I am going to be typing my response to this month's query - things I with I'd known - as fast as I can.
Things I Wish I'd Known
- there was very little chance I would get lock jaw after sneaking to shave my legs (below I was allowed to) with my mother's slightly rusty razor. That nick on my shin bled like a stuck pig (as the expression goes) so there was little chance for tetanus to set in. But I worried myself sick all night until I finally confessed to my mom what I had done the next day.
- I was never really heavy. Certainly not enough to explain having anorexia. Although, anorexia is often as much about puberty and not wanting your changing adolescent body to develop as it is about weight issues.
- my house didn't have to be perfectly organized and clean all the time when my girls were little. And it wasn't. But I worked very hard to try to achieve clean and organized even when they were out of reach.
- making core memories with my girls was more important than a spotless house. I was always too busy cleaning and trying to make ends meet. Wish I had known that setting aside a little time to be carefree with them would have meant so much.
- that you can kiss a lot of frogs without marrying every one of them.
- someday your Prince Charming will come along. But until he does, you can do hard things all by yourself.
Your Turn
Comments
Popular Posts
Duke's Mixture 01.2026: A Little of This-n-That
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
.png)







I'm going to have to sign up for Feedly! I used to rely on Bloggers Reading List as well as the various posts I subscribe to read but lately the blogger reading list has not been updating at all. These are fabulous answers all around. Looking back; I was never really heavy either but gosh I sure felt like it!
ReplyDeleteYes, I have NEVER thought of you as heavy!! I know you have always watched what you eat/ate and I think you have done WW in the past, too. Our eyes play tricks on us. I feel like I can never trust a mirror because some make me look positively trim (I am not) and others make me look rather matronly (I hope I am not). Yes, check out Feedly. https://feedly.com/ I used Blogger for a long time and then started missing so many posts. So have been using Feedly for about 2 years. It isn't terribly user friendly for this grandma user but I manage.
DeleteI enjoyed reading all your answers Leslie and wow that's so good to see Paul up and about so quickly after surgery! Good luck with your blogging goals :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, sweet friend. He has done so well. We are hoping he can move upstairs to our bedroom later this week.
DeleteWell I always appreciate your visits and comments and I leave the HP questions up for a week so you're still on time. I think I had Feedly a while back and might need to revisit as the blogger reading list does not update the way it should. I'm glad your husband is doing well with his new hip.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It has just amazed me how well PC has done.
DeleteI wish I'd known to appreciate my thin body growing up! I started gaining weight after college. My MIL is having hip replacement surgery soon. I hope Paul is recovering well.
ReplyDeletePaul has done so well. Hope your MIL has a similar experience. Just remind her to stay on top of her pain meds.
DeleteI really enjoyed your thoughts on the things you wish you’d known. The reminder that making memories with your girls mattered more than keeping a perfectly clean and organized home really resonated with me! I’m also glad to hear PC is doing so well after his hip replacement and hope his recovery continues smoothly.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I have been amazed at how well PC is doing. I know you blogging, working, busy mamas have so much on your plates. But sometimes letting the dishes or mopping or laundry go for a day so you can have fun with the babies is so much more important. You guys are amazing!!
Delete