Skip to main content

Featured

The World Through My Lens 08.2026

  Sweet shutterbugs, thank you for popping by today. Bringing you this month's photos taken for the 2 photo challenges I am participating in this year. They are The Everyday Images challenge hosted by my friend Kym at A Fresh Cup of Coffee and Sunday Stills, hosted by my friend Terri at Second Wind Leisure Perspectives .  These gals share their photos several times a month but I can't seem to get my photo challenge posts together more often than once a month. You can find the July edition of The World Through My Lens, here , if you missed it.   I found a couple of the prompts for August to be a bit of a challenge...I am looking at YOU 'imperfect' and 'double'.  Had to dig around in the archives (Google photos) for those. Everyday Images #94 dessert:  Cadence's sweet 16 birthday brownies.  With ice cream. gradual:  our work on this Texas jigsaw puzzle in Pensacola was pretty slow at first.  Then we all got real busy working on it in bet...

Where Bloggers Live 07.2026: My 10 Daily MVPs

 


Hello from the Gila National Forest and our cabin at Salt Creek Ranch.  We are in New Mexico for a 3-day fishing getaway.  Our cabin is so nice and looks onto pastureland with horses in the front and forested mountains in the back.  We only have connectivity right here on the bed in the cabin!!  And, as is generally the case, I am scrambling to finish this month's Where Bloggers Live post so that it can go live tomorrow, which is already the second Friday of July.  

Where Bloggers Live 07.2026

Our prompt this month is "10 Daily MVPs: Things in My Home That Get Me Through the Day."  I thought this would be an easy one to put together but it proved to be more difficult than I anticipated.  Unless I list all of the folks I love most of all...PC, Brennyn and Lauren (that's 3), Cadence, Lucia, Camila and Declan (a total of 7), my son-in-laws, Mustafa and Francisco (up to 9), my siblings and kitties.  All told that would be 13...always the over achiever!! And there you have my list!!

Okay, not really.  Although family and loved ones and LOVE definitely get me through my days.  But I think Bettye had in mind inanimate objects.  Or as we teach the kids in school - nonliving objects.  Here's what I came up with.

My 10 Daily MVPs

These are items - appliances, gadgets, helpmates - I wouldn't want to try to live without.  Of course, in almost every case, people have lived well without each of these things for eons.  But I am a bit of a princess, and really, really appreciate my first world life with these MVPs.

In ABC order:

  • air fryer:  when my daughter Brennyn first told me about her air fryer I thought it was just another culinary flash in the pan.  After visiting her and seeing hers in action, I knew I had to have one of my own.  A red one, of course, to match all of my other red appliances.  This Dash Deluxe 3-quart air fryer is the ticket.  It has an auto shut-off feature that I love, a timer, and temp control and the basket is nonstick for easy clean up.  And did I mention it is RED.  We use it daily.  It is especially nice in the summer when I can use it instead of heating up the whole house with the oven.


  • book club:  as I have mentioned over and over and over again, when I retired I was really lost. Had no idea how to fill the idle hours of my idle days.  That first summer of retirement, 2014, I asked Facebook friends if anyone wanted to join me for a summer book club.  What I thought would last 3 short months is now celebrating its 12th anniversary!!  I know that a book club isn't an object exactly but "Come Read with Me" has given my life purpose beyond housekeeping and family.  And the 150+ members have become friends.  


  • coffee maker:  I am the only one in our house who drinks coffee.  It's a hard pass for PC and the kitties.  But I only drink one cup a day, in the morning at breakfast.  This Hamilton-Beech Flex Brew coffee maker is perfect for my cup-a-day habit.  I can use Kcups with it or loose coffee grounds in the brewing basket.  And it is...yup, you guessed it...RED.  Francisco bought me reusable Kcup pods that I fill with my own grounds and use on repeat.  They have lasted for years; if only they came in red.

  • glue press:  my sweet sister bought me this handy dandy gadget for scrapbooking a few months ago.  It has changed my (crafting) life.  For years I would put together scrapbook layouts then DREAD having to glue everything down on my page.  Often times, I would move things to glue them and not get them back where I wanted them.  I would tell my sister I was going to just leave my pages unglued overnight in hopes that the glue elves would glue things down for me.  Well, this Sweet Petunia glue press is as good as any glue elves and maybe even better.

  • lotion:  on my annual visit to the dermatologist for an all-over skin check, she asked what body lotion I used.  At the time, I alternated between baby lotion (that delicious smelling pink stuff), Vaseline Intensive Care (or the Walmart equivalent) and Bath and Body Works body lotion.  She suggested I try CeraVe.  I've never looked back.  The doctor suggested that after a shower I leave my skin slightly damp to make applying this thick, hydrating cream a little easier.  Many days I mix in a little of my favorite BnBWorks scented lotion because CeraVe is fragrance free.  Truly, my skin never looks dry anymore - even living in the El Paso desert.  

  • pool floats:  clearly, these are seasonal MVPs, even in El Paso.  We have had our current floats or mattresses for several years and they have really held up.  Best thing of all - they are not inflatable so we don't have to blow them up.  We do have to store them in the winter, which takes some doing.  PC rolls them up like cinnamon rolls and puts a bungee cord around each.  We keep our thermostat set at 82* in the summer.  The second story of our house is especially toasty until after the sun sets.  So we float each afternoon about 4:30 or 5:00 pm for about an hour and get good and cooled off.  Then we are comfortable until bedtime. Here's Lucia modeling mine.

Okay, we are over half-way there.  What's next?  My final 4 MVPs.  Which are not in ABC order.

I asked PC what his daily MVP would be and he replied his car.  His 2012 silver, convertible Ford Mustang.  So following his good lead, my seventh MVP is going to be...

  • my car:  PC's response made me realize how much we count on having our own transportation every.single.day.  Although, we rather enjoyed getting around on public transit in London and Edinburgh.  But trying to do so in El Paso would be a nightmare.  It would mean several different Metro bus connections and walking from various stops to get to our locations.  So glad that I have dependable transportation (with a sunroof) and can go when I get ready to go.  Cadence was with me when I picked up my brand new 2023 Nissan Rogue at the dealership.  We listened to the Beatles all the way home.


Okay, okay, I am going to say it...

  • my phone:  I curse it more than I compliment it but the bottom line is my phone saves my neck over and over and over.  And makes life a whole lot easier in many ways.  Thankful for the phone camera as I average probably 20 pictures a day and sure wouldn't want to haul around the Sony DSLR camera I thought I needed ten years ago.  I get annoyed with myself that I carry my phone everywhere I go, even from room to room at home.  Would NEVER have done that with a landline for heaven's sake.  But phones are so much more than phones these days.  Even though it cannot understand me to save my soul when I try to talk into it.  And even though I could absolutely throw mine at any given moment when it switches from English to Spanish (voice to text) and when it switches without notice from miles to meters (Maps).  My phone is a necessary evil.  

  • my phone case:  because I am dragging my phone all over creation, I decided to buy this phone case with a little bracelet attachment.  It frees up my phone-holding hand so that I can actually multitask while holding my phone.  The case is magnetic, has a kickstand, and slots for IDs and debit cards.  I am sure this case is the only reason I returned from our trip to the UK with my phone. 



And by my count, that is 9 daily MVPs.  That means I have one MVP left, right?  Well, here is my number 10, my numero diez if you will...

My Number One (or number 10) MVP

  • PC, my family and LOVE:  I had to do it.  Had to include them. Bettye's prompt asked us to list things in our homes that help us get through the day.  I would not want to even try to get through the day much less the rest of my life without PC.  He is my MVP everything.  Best friend, help mate, chauffeur (often), handyman, pickle jar opener, pool float companion.  He is the best thing that has happened to me since my daughters' births.  And of course, they - my girls - are MVPs in their own right as mentioned at the beginning of this post.
And where would any of us be without love?  We probably wouldn't even be here!!  So, I have to give mention to that emotion that makes every minute of every day worth living.

PC and I are celebrating our 💗18th anniversary 💗(I typed birthday first, hahaha, that ship has long sailed) this weekend on Saturday.  I only dreamed that someday I might be happily married long enough to make it beyond the first decade with someone.  And here I am, here we are...  happy anniversary to us.

Your Turn

The Where Bloggers Live series is kind of like HGTV’s “Celebrities at Home,” but…with bloggers!  These posts have been some of my most popular.  And they are fun to write!!    The creator of this series, Bettye from Fashion Schlub has put together a list of fun themes for Where Bloggers Live even into 2027!!  Love her organization.

What would a list of your 10 daily MVPs look like?  Please let me know in a comment below and then join me in visiting the other WBL bloggers for their posts.

Daenel at Living Outside the Stacks

Bettye at Fashion Schlub

Jodie at Jodie’s Touch of Style

Em at Dust and Doghair

Yours truly

Sally at Within a World of My Own

We have just finished enjoying a makeshift, roughin' it style charcuterie board with smoky sausage, shrimp and cocktail sauce, sourdough bread and 3 different cheeses.  Washed it down with a Michelob Ultra.  Cheers!!  Now, off to do a little pre-sunset fishing and hiking.

Hope this weekend allows you some down time to do the things you enjoy doing with your MVPs.  Thank you for stopping by to say hi!

Hugs and kisses,



Comments


  1. Oh, I have coveted air fryers ever since they first came on the scene! Someday I'll have my own home and hopefully they'll still be around!

    Glue press?? Glue press?? I don't think I understand.

    Ooh, now I wish I was lying on a pool float. I just took a break from packing to read our WBL blog posts...maybe if I can make some good packing progress later I can go in the pool. Don't think she has a nice float like that, but,...

    Happy Anniversary, Leslie!

    xoxo Bettye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bettye. Hope you managed a little pool time after packing. Anxious to follow along on your continued journeys.
      The glue press is really a glue gun for bottles of scrapbook adhesive. A lot like a hot glue gun. But instead of using heated glue sticks, the gun pushes glue out of through a needle tip on the glue bottle. Makes for very precise gluing!!

      Delete
  2. I agree that life wouldn't be worth living without love. Happy anniversary.
    It's funny how phones were featured in almost all of our posts.
    Xoxo
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, darn phones. Can't live with them, can't shoot them!! Thank you.

      Delete
  3. If there was something like glue elves, maybe I wouldn't have such a traumatic relationship with glue, it would be wonderful (I don't scrapbook, though).
    I hope you'll have a wonderful 18th anniversary celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We enjoyed a delightful getaway. I really detest gluing, too, but this gadget has made it much more tolerable.

      Delete
  4. I saw those pool mats at the store and I was tempted to buy one. I like how you don't have to blow them up, but you're right, storage would be an issue. I love my air fryer too. I love to fry chicken in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool mats are worth the hassle of storing them. We have had them for a number of years and they have held up very well. Haven't tried frying chicken in my air fryer but going to do that!!

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary, you youngsters, you! I keep thinking about an air fryer, but I wonder if it will end up like my instapot! Remember when we just had to have those? But, I'll take your word for it, and maybe, I'll buy one. But, I want a sage green one! I always love reading these because I keep learning more and more about you, my beautiful friend!

    https://marshainthemiddle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Marsha, a green air fryer!! Green is the best color in the world. Hope you get one and love it. I never liked my instapot either. And could probably use it as a door stop these days. Somehow I got started with red small appliances and it just snowballed. But green???? Oh, yes!!!
      Thank you for the kind words and anniversary wishes. We had a very restful anniversary getaway.

      Delete
  6. THE AIR FRYER!! It has been a game changer. My daughter {what's with these kids changing our lives in more ways than one?} introduced The Hubs to hers and he immediately ordered one. Everything we cook in it has the most amazing crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't air fryers amazing? My granddaughter showed us how to use ours to make frozen pizzas crisp and delicious. They are miracle gadgets!!

      Delete
  7. Well this is a fun prompt and I'm thinking of my own list now. I don't have an air fryer but my girls use theirs often. I think when they came out I was rebelling against adding one more appliance to my stash. I suppose I should reconsider. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please pitch the instapot, if you have one, in favor of the air fryer. We use ours everyday. I still love my crockpot but the air fryer is giving it a run for its money.

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary! 💕My phone would be my no. 1 MVP can’t-do-without object!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We had a delightful weekend. If I had my landline back again, I think I could more easily do away with my cell phone. But it makes me crazy, taking it with me everywhere.

      Delete
  9. I too am a big fan of the modern conveniences of this era.. I don't think I would have done in other times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been a big ole baby living in just about any other era in hisotry.

      Delete
  10. What a fun list! I had to smile at all of the red appliances—they definitely add a cheerful touch to your kitchen. I also love that your book club has been going strong for 12 years; what an amazing community you've built! And happy early 18th anniversary to you and PC! I hope you have a wonderful time in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Our latest getaway was delightful. Thank you for the kind words about my book club. That means so very much. It has become very important to me.

      Delete
  11. Yes! I love my air fryer too and use it several times a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the air fryer changed everything as far as frying goes. I love it.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to be late!! And look at you! On vacation and wi-fi confined yet still managing to get a post finished AND make the rounds!

    -Air fryer...best thing to ever happen to leftover pizza and the easiest way to make nachos (among it's other uses)!
    -I have heard wonderful things about CeraVe...will try!
    -My kids say I am a menace with a cell phone...too often dictating messages I didn't know I was sending...butt dialing...accidentally liking posts I don't actually like...the works! Perhaps a nice case like yours would keep that to a minimum.
    -Rogues are such snappy cars! Love the white color! After six weeks of not driving, I absolutely appreciate the privilege...in what ever vehicle is available!

    Happiest of anniversaries...this year and every year to you and your PC. It may have taken a few challenging detours along the way, but you've built a lovely life with a beautiful family that I know you treasure every day.

    Seeing and knowing your good friends are happy is a blessing as well! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this sweet message. I am so blessed and rich in family, friends and love.

      Delete
  13. Greetings from another air fryer and CeraVe lotion aficionado! The glue press is so interesting - I had not heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have such a bracelet for my phone, I dropped mine everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH yes, books would definitely top my list too... and darn it my phone would have to too but only because I love having a camera right at my fingertips at all times. I think my Yeti tumbler would make the list and perhaps my watch. I didn't wear mine a few hot days this month and found myself looking at my wrist an awful lot to see what time it was. My car would have to be on the list as we don't live close enough to walk anywhere and while I have days I don't use it at all they are pretty rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having a camera at our fingertips - darn phones - is so nice. Ooo, Yeti tumbler!! I have a couple of similar water bottles. Probably need a new one because the handle broke off my Stanley. Will look into Yeti.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts