Where Bloggers Live 09.2026: Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth
Welcome, friends. This post will go live on 9/11 and I know all of us will have heavy hearts on the 25th anniversary of that horrific day. Over the years, my daughters and I have surely talked some about where we were that morning. Both girls were in high school that September and living at home with me. I think they had left for school when I turned on the radio while getting ready myself and heard the first announcements. I thought the radio station was playing some kind of prank - it was just unfathomable that something had happened to one of the Twin Towers - an explosion? No, an airplane flew into the building? Was the end of the world far behind?
While some states have removed teaching about 9/11 from the curriculum, I am relieved to know that it is still in the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS, the curriculum Bible) for Texas. In the words of philosopher George Santayana,
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
As this is the second Friday of the month, it is time for another installment of Where Bloggers Live. And our prompt for today's post is 'things you'll always hear me say.'
I've enlisted the help of some of my loved ones for this, asking PC, Lauren, Brennyn and the grands what they always hear me saying. Thank goodness, their responses were mostly PG-rated!!
Where Bloggers Live
This long-lived blogging series was created by our fearless leader and friend, Bettye at Fashion Schlub. Bettye explains that “Where Bloggers Live” started out kind of like HGTV’s “Celebrities at Home,” but…with bloggers! Through each bloggers' interpretation of each monthly prompt, we have shared our work-spaces, homes, towns, and thoughts. I kind of invited myself into the group a few years ago and have enjoyed every month's prompt and post.
And here are the Where Bloggers Live bloggers. Hope you will stop by to check out their interpretation of today's post.
Daenel at Living Outside the Stacks
Bettye at Fashion Schlub
Jodie at Jodie’s Touch of Style
Em at Dust and Doghair
Yours truly
Sally at Within a World of My Own
Things I Say on Repeat
- "I couldn't have done that if I tried" - from Paul. I do use this quite a bit when the handles to my purse get wrapped around the steering wheel of the car or under the brake pedal or just tie themselves in knots.
- "dadgummit" - according to Lauren. I say this kind of in jest and usually to the grandbabies. I might say, "Dadgummit, this poor little angel doesn't have a thing to play with!!" while looking about at all of their toys.
- "surely not" - according to Brennyn. Self explanatory, I am sure. The craziness in the world just slays me lately. I find myself saying 'surely not' frequently about something Brennyn is telling or suggesting might happen.
- "whoa, doggies" or "ooooo, doggies" - from Lucia and Cami. This is generally spoken after I have exerted myself. Often during a Supernatural virtual reality workout I can be heard proclaiming, "whoa, doggies" as perspiration pours down my face.
- "I will pray for them" - according to Cadence. She says I offer to pray for people a lot. That touched me that she would mention that. Or think of that when thinking of me.
- "Happy Hump Day" or "Do you know what day it is?" - also from Cadence. I write one of those messages to her in a text every Wednesday. I think she thought I wished everyone a happy hump day but it is just something I do with her.
From My Perspective
- "if we can just get through next Thursday" - sub in any day of the week, a certain holiday, occasion, or minor catastrophe. I say this a lot less than I used to, thank goodness. But I was always trying to look down the road to the not-so-distant future when I thought, prayed things would calm down in our lives. I said this a whole lot when I was a single mom struggling to make ends meet. Life has been so much gentler in the last 5 years, PTL. However, we've been going through a little crazy I call LIFE (in all caps) around here lately.
- "no one does their job any more" - a good, all-purpose description for much of the American work force these days - in my opinion.
- "what in the world?" and/or "heaven help us" and/or "have mercy" - interchangeable and all work well with "surely not"
- "repigulous" - this is a take on ridiculous that PC made up in honor of the crazy things our pup Rusty the Pig Dog would do... total repigulosity.
.png)


"While some states have removed teaching about 9/11 from the curriculum" Whoa - I was not aware of that. What was their rationale?
ReplyDeleteCuz yeah, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Plus, those who refuse to admit the past HAPPENED. Same.
Ha, I don't even UNDERSTAND "fat as mud." I don't get it. Mud is fat?
Glad to see you were able to beat your blog into compliance. I have to fix my post toot suite cu I'd made a note that you were not playing today!
I didn't know teaching about 9/11 has been removed from some states. As a former history instructor and current librarian, what in the world? Honestly, though, I'm not surprised.
ReplyDeleteYou and I did the same thing -- asked family for help with this post. It's funny to hear ourselves through the ears of others, right?
And how cool is it that your professor recorded your mom's sayings? Imagine, her words are probably in an archives or attic, waiting to be discovered.
I love that you ask your family this question. Because you certainly get a whole different perspective that way.
ReplyDeleteAnd the best one is the one you made up!!! I'm always making up words and why not?
Xoxo
Jodie
I didn't realize that some states don't teach the kids about 9/11. Your sayings are all great!
ReplyDelete